Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Language post

Language blog post

Could you imagine what our world would be like without any ability to communicate with one another? Over the weekend I was asked to conduct an experiment dealing with language barriers between one human to another. The first part of the experiment included engaging in a conversation for 15 minutes where I was not allowed to use any version of a symbolic language (no speaking, writing, or ASL), and the second half I was asked to spend 15 minutes communicating without any physical embellishments, i.e., no hand signals, no vocal intonation, no head, facial, or body movements.
Overall both the experiments were very hard to do, but I found this way easier than the other version of communicating. Acting out things like in charades was more difficult than just mouthing the words and using facial expressions. My partner throughout the conversation seemed to focus in more on the way I moved my mouth, taking the visuals of my face, and translating it into words. When communicating complex ideas the speaking culture would be the best and easiest way to communicate ideas because you could convey emotion the simplest way. I think the speaking culture would look at the symbolic culture in a negative way by thinking less of them because they don’t use sounds. A good example of individuals in our culture that have issues speaking that we adapt to is foreign people with little English. As the listener we have to look at the persons facial expressions and hand gestures to communicate efficiently.  
The second experiment I was asked to spend 15 minutes communicating without any physical embellishments, i.e., no hand signals, no vocal intonation, no head, facial, or body movements. I had the most incredibly hard time not using the vocal intonations! I was amazed! It was impossible for me to have a conversation because I kept having to repeat myself over and over. I never knew that was such a big part of our language and how we talk! My partner just kept looking at me with this confused face about what I was saying and they turned there ear to my mouth to try and hear what I was saying. I had no idea how important non speech techniques were in our society. Just facial expressions and hand gestures alone make such an impact in the way we speak.  I think that there are people in this world that can’t read body language and it leads to very bad consequences if you can’t read if someone is angry at you. I think in a war type of scenario it would benefit not to use body language.

This was a very interesting experiment between the two different types of communicating. I was very interested and hysterical on the second method of communicating and I found that a world where we had these limitations would be way to difficult. 

3 comments:

  1. Hey Brock-
    When I took part in a conversation with only hand movements, I never really though to mouth the words to my partner. I guess it isn't necessarily talking because there is no voice coming out of our mouth but it was a smart way to experiment without sound. I really like how you used foreigners as an example of people not being able to speak well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay on your description of your experience in Part A. Other than focusing on your mouth, did your partner alter the way they communicated with you at all? Who initiated topics? What kind of things were you able to talk about? This could have been expanded, especially because the responses of the partners are often the most interesting part of the experiment.

    Yes, non-English speakers in the US is a good example of this cultural phenomena. How to Americans often respond to those who aren't fluent in the English language. Do they always take the time and the effort to understand what the person is saying?

    "My partner just kept looking at me with this confused face about what I was saying and they turned there ear to my mouth to try and hear what I was saying."

    Interesting. If you were able to use spoken language fully, why did they have trouble understanding what you were saying?

    There are specific groups of people that have difficulty understanding body language. Can you identify them?

    "I think in a war type of scenario it would benefit not to use body language. "

    This needed explanation as I don't follow what you mean. Aside from that, the question didn't ask when you shouldn't use body language, but when you shouldn't read it. Are there any circumstances where body language might mislead you? Can it be misinterpreted? Do all cultures use the same system of body language?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your post. It was very well structured and easy to understand. I agree with Kylie, It was pure genius to mouth the words to your partner. That would've saved me and my sister from unnecessary frustration.

    ReplyDelete